Bursa Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking a Day Off From Trading By D. R. Barton, Jr.

Go down

Taking a Day Off From Trading By D. R. Barton, Jr. Empty Taking a Day Off From Trading By D. R. Barton, Jr.

Trading Tip[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Taking a Day Off From Trading
By D. R. Barton, Jr.
(Editors note: D. R. wrote this article yesterday, Tuesday.)

I’m not trading today.
Van’s very first Top Task Trading is “Daily Self-Analysis” and this morning, I can’t seem to get my head in the game.  After extensive work on myself  (with the help of Van and others), I’ve realized that no matter how well-designed my systems and strategies are, on days when I’m not right (i.e. not in the proper mental state) my trading suffers. So…
I’m not trading today.
An Unusual Reason to Forego Trading
Robin Williams died yesterday.  I found out last night when I was watching TV with my wife.  We were both dumbstruck.  Our surprise was certainly painted over with a sense of sadness, so we turned off the tube and listened to some comforting music for a few minutes before going to bed.
Then this morning, our fund’s team talked about Williams’ passing briefly in our pre-market meeting.  I was reminded of one of the funniest and amazing live performances I’ve seen when my good friend Dr. Chris Szymanski recreated (as an exercise in a training seminar) part of a Robin Williams’ comedy set where he impersonated a cat. Chris really went all out (complete with cat make-up) in his portrayal and absolutely killed it.  The room (including me) was howling!
At the end of our pre-market meeting, Chris said that he had re-watched an episode of Mork and Mindy and was reminded of Robin Williams’ comedic genius. I remembered an episode where he appeared on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson — Williams went into an extended improvisation and took over the show (not easy to do with Johnny Carson behind the desk). I still remember that I was in awe — and laughed until my side hurt when I first saw it. 
I laughed out loud again when I re-watched it on YouTube this morning.  And then, with no other apparent trigger, I cried. Then I remembered some more of my favorite Robin Williams moments (no YouTube this time). And I cried some more.
Though I’m not an overly emotional guy, I have personally learned that life is best lived by experiencing all the emotions that God has given us — “A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance” as the writer of the book of Ecclesiastes wrote.  I can only remember really mourning the loss of one other person that I did not know — E.B. White.  Sure I’ve been saddened when learning of the deaths of people I didn’t know personally, but I didn’t really mourn any of those other losses in the proper sense of the word. E.B. White's death was a little different.
While I don’t agree with most of his political leanings, it’s safe to say that White's writings changed me profoundly.  He taught me to slow down and look at the world in a new way.  He challenged me to be an observer rather than just a guy who quickly passes through without noticing the beauty and intrigue that can be found in the simplest of things. 
In October of 1985, I had just finished reading the book Essays of E.B. White when I read about his death while sitting at my desk at DuPont .  This was my first job office and I shared it with two other people.  It was a strange room called “The Blister” because it was built as an afterthought as a fire observatory on the end of a huge building called “F Canyon” where plutonium was chemically separated from uranium (the Canyon was almost three football fields long). 
On this particular day, for whatever reason, my office mates were gone. The moment I read that E.B. White had died, I was overcome by grief, and I cried.  A good, soul-clearing cry.  One of my mentors had passed on.
A Useful Insight
I cried about the death of Robin Williams today, I believe, because it was tragic (it appears that he took his own life) and because I felt a great sense of loss — another person who had given me so much laughter, entertainment and creative energy had passed from this world.  I’ll process his complex life in my mind at another time.  For now, arguably the greatest comedic talent of our generation will create no more.
So, I’m not trading today.  And that’s good for two reasons.  One, my head’s not in the game and two, “being out of the market” is another one of Van’s Top Tasks of Trading
What are some reasons that would trigger you to stay out of the markets or not make any new trades or open any new investment positions?  That’s a VERY good question to ask yourself! And stay aware of your answer!
Epilogue
Here are some of my favorite Robin Williams moments:

• Any appearance on Carson (manic, inspired, side-splitting)
  • Voice of Aladdin (iconic)
  • Good Will Hunting scene when he finally confronts Will on a park bench (Oscar-worthy)
  • The soccer scene from Dead Poets’ Society when students were required to recite a verse before taking a shot on goal (inspirational)
  • Ms. Doubtfire — both the T-Rex scene (great riff) and when his kids discover who he is (you really see the Dad come out in him)
  • Stand-up cat impersonation (see above)

What are your favorites?  Send them, along with any reasons that keep you out of the markets, to me at the email below.
As always, your thoughts and comments are always welcome - please send them to drbarton “at” vantharp.com.
Great Trading,
D. R.

About the Author: A passion for the systematic approach to the markets and lifelong love of teaching and learning have propelled D.R. Barton, Jr. to the top of the investment and trading arena. He is a regularly featured guest on both Report on Business TV, and WTOP News Radio in Washington, D.C., and has been a guest on Bloomberg Radio. His articles have appeared on SmartMoney.com and Financial Advisor magazine. You may contact D.R. at "drbarton" at "vantharp.com".
Cals
Cals
Administrator
Administrator

Male Join date : 2011-09-08
Comments : “My plan of trading was sound enough and won oftener that it lost. If I had stuck to it I’️d have been right perhaps as often as seven out of ten times.”
Stock Exposure : Technical Analysis / Fundamental Analysis / Mental Analysis

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit