Bursa Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call warrant trading strategies

Go down

Call warrant trading strategies Empty Call warrant trading strategies

WHEN and how does one decide to buy call warrants?

BUYING CALL warrants (CWs) is a leveraged alternative to a position in the underlying stock. Increasing leverage or gearing can result in large percentage profits because purchasing CWs generally requires a lower upfront capital commitment compared with an outright purchase of the underlying stock. Buying CWs also offer the investor a pre-determined maximum risk. So, when and how does one decide to buy CWs?

1. Timing, level

CWs' value is mainly derived from the value of the underlying stock. So, first things first; study the price movement of the underlying stock before deciding when to put in your buy order.

A good time to buy CWs is when you think the underlying stock is about to make a sharp gain within a short time-frame. It is at this point of time where the gearing or leverage effect of CWs comes into full play. So, study the charts, digest the news and research, and try to find such stocks.

2. Compare similar warrants

Once the decision on the underlying stock has been made, it is time to compare the different warrants available. There will be warrants on the same underlying with different maturity periods, different strike or exercise prices to match your expectations. Also take note of the premium and expiry date of each warrant when deciding when to go in.

For example choose the lowest premium and the warrant with longest maturity date. Because usually this kind of warrant will be most sensitive to the mother. Other things to look out for is the warrant price, the gap of the market makers que and the ren qi(volume) of a warrant.

You should also study a warrant's historical volatility (a measure of price fluctuation of the underlying asset over time) and implied volatility (market expectation on the future price fluctuation of the underlying asset) for a buy signal.

You could compare implied volatility of a warrant with warrants of similar effective gearing, exercise price and expiry over the same underlying asset before deciding whether that warrant is expensive. Higher implied volatility means a higher warrant price. Your aim may be to choose a warrant with the lowest implied volatility among warrants with similar terms and underlying assets. There are websites such as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which provide free calculators to make this comparison.

Another strategy could be buying CWs if you expect an upward trend in the historical volatility of the underlying stock. Be mindful, however, that a higher potential for return could also mean a higher risk of loss. Remember that warrants are for trading, not investing.

3. Compare issuers

In Malaysia, structured warrant issuers either act as market makers themselves or appoint one market maker for each warrant issued. A good market maker ensures sufficient liquidity in the particular warrant by continuously providing competitive buy and sell quotes, making it easier for investors to trade. By doing so, the market maker also ensures price stability on the warrant price.

It is important to choose a warrant issuer that offers good market- making service

Market maker can determine win and losses. Depending on their que so it is very important to understand the nature of a market maker. Different banks/issuers have different market making strategy. For newbies avoid OSK market makers as OSK is known to trap many unsuspecting victim.

4. Setting take-profit, stop-loss and time frame

Warrant traders need to adopt a different approach from trading ordinary shares. Indeed, one's trading time horizon and risk appetite could determine whether one should be trading warrants or shares.

A share has an infinite life whereas a warrant has a limited lifespan. As a warrant-holder, you should regularly monitor your warrant's position, at least on a daily/hourly basis. In addition, warrant traders need to do the following:

1. Set a take-profit target

watch movement of the mom. If mother share keep going up let the profit run. If mother share make a U turn sell it immediately or take profit. Apply WYSIWYG(means seeing how the mother moves and situation)

2. Set a stop-loss level

if the mother share go down to a certain level, cut lost immediately and buy back lower. It is better to cut lost quick and buy back lower rather than holding it and hope it can back to your buy level.

Let me give some examples:

· Buy and hold even when mother share goes down. I buy warrant A at 30cent, when the mother share go down I refuse to sell knowing it is a good fundamental company. So warrant drop from 30cent to 20cent and come back to 31cent in 8 months time. I make 1 cent from holding for 8 months

· Cut lost and buy back lower. I bought warrant A at 30cent. When mother share drop I cut lost at 28cent knowing I can buy back lower. When warrant drop to 20cent, I bought it back and let it rebound. in short, when I cut lost I make a lost of 2cent. But I bought back at 20cent and let it run to 31 cent. So instead of making one cent I make 9cent with this strategy.

· Remember many warrant might never go back to your ordinary price even if you buy and hold

· The time and capital you spend holding a warrant can cost you many good opportunities you spotted in the market.

Four Golden Rules

1. Never be emotionally attached to your position. Cut your losses instead of irrationally holding on to a losing position.

2. Take profit or cut lost according to mom.

3. Always be flexible while setting target. Change target profit if mother share keep going up.

4. Buying more to average down is never a good idea. It will only expose you to more risks. However it depends on situation. Average down is strictly not for someone new in the stock market!!!

PS

if you have any questions feel free to come over to our live trading room and ask anyone of us!!! We are more than willing to help you!!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

remember reading helps but its not everything. reading about love and loving a girl is a totally different thing. same thing applies to the stock market [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by phoenix on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 13:11; edited 3 times in total
phoenix777
phoenix777

Male Join date : 2011-02-03
Job/Hobbies : eating good food
Stock Exposure : 1 year
Stock Portfolio : empty handed

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Call warrant trading strategies :: Comments

Post Mon 01 Aug 2011, 22:30 by Guest

Still has flaw le the explanation, anyway am not free now, enjoy my good moment with friends now.

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Mon 01 Aug 2011, 22:35 by phoenix777

maxim$ wrote:Still has flaw le the explanation, anyway am not free now, enjoy my good moment with friends now.

this one copy and paste lah....pt ur input lah....later....

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Mon 01 Aug 2011, 22:39 by phoenix777

maxim$ wrote:Still has flaw le the explanation, anyway am not free now, enjoy my good moment with friends now.

cham lor....i just skim thru see so many irrelevant tactics

this is done by head of kenanga leh [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

will edit the whole article when im free....

Back to top Go down

W

Post Fri 05 Aug 2011, 22:12 by W

phoenix,waiting for your editing ya.

see ur comment on warrant..

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Sat 06 Aug 2011, 10:21 by phoenix777

W wrote:phoenix,waiting for your editing ya.

i just plan to edit according to wht max teach us nia.....the way the guy explain above is like asking u to buy cw for investment leh.....if newbie read this nt good lor .....feel free drop ur input

Back to top Go down

W

Post Sat 13 Aug 2011, 18:39 by W

phoenix wrote:

i just plan to edit according to wht max teach us nia.....the way the guy explain above is like asking u to buy cw for investment leh.....if newbie read this nt good lor .....feel free drop ur input

my view for playing warrant in this turbulent time is should avoid the warrant which is not ren qi due to liquidity.We cant predict market trend tomorrow,due to uncertainly,better dont hold anything overnight unless u are going to invest.And you possessing extra capital to go in another counter. Handshake Handshake Handshake

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 15 Aug 2011, 14:04 by Guest

phoenix wrote:

go edit go go go..make it good one[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Tue 30 Aug 2011, 13:09 by phoenix777

article edited [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:01 by Guest

Wysiwyg not just on mom movement, it encompass bb as well

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:03 by phoenix777

m$ wrote:Wysiwyg not just on mom movement, it encompass bb as well

yup true....

bt if mom keep going up up up and bb keep going down what will you do? will you take more?

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:18 by Guest

Wysiwyg include buy sell of player and mm, such as bimb ca, in reverse relationship, therefore, once we see this kind of situation. Put aside mom movement, we should only q lower price lo, such as 17 cent and sell say 18, no point buy up even mom is up but bb player sell on strength. The other option is we just monitor, again we are daytrader not buy and hold, no point average down, what if this crazy bb go down to more neg premium? Those buy and hold say at 30 25 20 cents now Holland lo. For me this kind of bb I'm not so keen, better catch sensitive bb rather than neg. Sensitive bb

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:19 by phoenix777

m$ wrote:Wysiwyg include buy sell of player and mm, such as bimb ca, in reverse relationship, therefore, once we see this kind of situation. Put aside mom movement, we should only q lower price lo, such as 17 cent and sell say 18, no point buy up even mom is up but bb player sell on strength. The other option is we just monitor, again we are daytrader not buy and hold, no point average down, what if this crazy bb go down to more neg premium? Those buy and hold say at 30 25 20 cents now Holland lo. For me this kind of bb I'm not so keen, better catch sensitive bb rather than neg. Sensitive bb

yup[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

all depend on mom and bb lor movement....

so before buying any warrants observe the movement before going in

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:30 by Guest

phoenix wrote:
m$ wrote:Wysiwyg include buy sell of player and mm, such as bimb ca, in reverse relationship, therefore, once we see this kind of situation. Put aside mom movement, we should only q lower price lo, such as 17 cent and sell say 18, no point buy up even mom is up but bb player sell on strength. The other option is we just monitor, again we are daytrader not buy and hold, no point average down, what if this crazy bb go down to more neg premium? Those buy and hold say at 30 25 20 cents now Holland lo. For me this kind of bb I'm not so keen, better catch sensitive bb rather than neg. Sensitive bb

i ever go in small small say 0.215....end up selling 0.21 etc....need try and error then only have the feel and more understanding [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:54 by phoenix777

m$ wrote:
phoenix wrote:

i ever go in small small say 0.215....end up selling 0.21 etc....need try and error then only have the feel and more understanding [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

when i try mas cd i go in 75 lot only [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

in the end chiong 2 ct [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sold for 150

Back to top Go down

Post Mon 17 Oct 2011, 22:36 by t_desmond

You should also study a
warrant's historical volatility (a measure of price fluctuation of the
underlying asset over time) and implied volatility (market expectation
on the future price fluctuation of the underlying asset) for a buy
signal.

where to find the volatility oh

Back to top Go down

phoenix777

Post Mon 17 Oct 2011, 23:56 by phoenix777

volatility is the mother son relatinoship lor....like armada today move how much then cc move how much....

then airasia mother move how much then aa cj move how much lor

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 01 Dec 2011, 18:37 by Guest

bump

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down