Bursa Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy

2 posters

Go down

Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy Empty Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy

Post by hlk Mon 27 Jun 2011, 18:24

KUALA LUMPUR: The Cabinet has approved the policy of ensuring that 30 per cent of women are at the decision-making level in the private sector, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

He said the corporate sector had been given a five-year transition period to raise the number of women as members of the board of directors of companies and hold top positions in their respective companies.

"The Cabinet meeting last week had approved the request by the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry to give an opportunity to qualified women to become company directors.

"I believe this is the way for us to appreciate the role of women in the context of our national development because the women's capability in handling key positions had been proven.

"I believe that the decision made by the Cabinet is also a 'landmark decision' which will change the participation of women in our country to a much higher level," he said at a press conference at Parliament House, here today.

He said the approval of the policy was a continuation of the Policy of At Least 30 Per Cent Women in the Decision-Making Level in the Public Sector announced by the government in 2004, where the achievement had been encouraging.

Najib said the percentage of women in JUSA (premier grade) had increased to 32.2 per cent in 2010 compared with 18.8 per cent in 2004.

"This policy can become a catalyst in the affirmative measures taken towards achieving gender equality in the corporate sector. Besides ensuring that expertise, competitiveness and leadership abilities of women are optimised, these measures can also lead to diversity and inclusion of the board of directors," he said.

Currently, he said only 91 women (13.0 per cent) had been appointed as members of the board in 2010 in the Finance Minister (Incorporated) companies.

On the other hand, out of the 200 companies listed on Bursa Malaysia up to November 2010, only 7.6 per cent of the women were appointed as members of the board of these companies, he said.

"In addition, information provided by Bank Negara showed that only 45 women or 6.0 per cent had been appointed as members of the boards of directors at the financial institutions up to April 2011," he said.

Najib said to ensure that the policy was implemented effectively, the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry, in collaboration with agencies such as Khazanah Nasional Berhad, Malaysian Alliance of Corporate Directors and Malaysian Directors Academy would draw up a training programme to prepare women with potentials to become members of the boards of directors of companies.

"I believe when there is already a decision such as the one I announced earlier and if we can raise the number of talents and give them training, the objective of 30 per cent women at the decision-making level in the corporate sector will be achieved," he added. -- BERNAMA

hlk
hlk

Back to top Go down

Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy Empty Re: Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy

Post by sun Tue 28 Jun 2011, 07:46

this is currently happening in my company I think > 30% women in managerial level [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sun
sun
Consulting Member
Consulting Member

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Back to top Go down

Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy Empty Re: Cabinet approves 30 per cent women-as-decision-makers-in-corporate-sector policy

Post by hlk Tue 28 Jun 2011, 08:21

sun wrote:this is currently happening in my company I think > 30% women in managerial level [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

women power ! Clap Clap Clap
hlk
hlk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down