Bursa Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car prices to drop 1%-3% next year with GST

Go down

Car prices to drop 1%-3% next year with GST Empty Car prices to drop 1%-3% next year with GST

Post by Cals Thu 11 Sep 2014, 08:27

Car prices to drop 1%-3% next year with GST
Business & Markets 2014
Written by Meena Lakshana of theedgemalaysia.com   
Wednesday, 10 September 2014 13:01

KUALA LUMPUR (Sept 10): Car prices are expected to come under pressure from the implementation of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in April next year, dropping between 1% and 3% in 2014.

Malaysian Automotive Institute (MAI) chief executive officer Madani Sahari said although the proposed GST rate of 6% is lower than the current Sales and Services Tax (SST) at 10%, the anticipated car price drop will also depend on the value determined by the original equipment engineers (OEMs).

"The government does not control car prices and we shouldn't because it (automotive market) is a free market," he told a press conference after the opening of the 2014 Altair Technology Conference here today.

"Based on our simulation studies, we see a decrease in car prices of between 1% and 3% next year after the GST implementation,” he said.

Madani, however, urged car buyers not to refrain from purchasing cars this year.

“That’s because as cars depreciate in value at 10% every year, the difference in value of second-hand vehicles this year and next, compared with purchasing new vehicles next year will be incremental.

"Let's say your second-hand vehicle is valued at RM50,000 this year, next year it will be valued at RM45,000," he said.

"But the decrease in car prices next year is only 1% to 3% [and] so, you will be better off selling your cars and buying new ones this year," he reasoned.
Cals
Cals
Administrator
Administrator

Male Join date : 2011-09-08
Comments : “My plan of trading was sound enough and won oftener that it lost. If I had stuck to it I’️d have been right perhaps as often as seven out of ten times.”
Stock Exposure : Technical Analysis / Fundamental Analysis / Mental Analysis

Back to top Go down