Bursa Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Payment for Dubai project made to LCL

Go down

Payment for Dubai project made to LCL  Empty Payment for Dubai project made to LCL

Post by hlk Fri 04 Nov 2011, 19:55

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 4): The Sessions Court here was told on Friday that a payment of RM888,000 for a Malaysian restaurant project in Dubai was made to LCL Interior and not Awana Dubai.

Former Pembangunan Pelancongan Malaysia Berhad (PEMPENA) financial controller Lim Khing Tai said this was done because Awana Dubai, which was responsible for carrying out the project in 2007, had yet to have a bank account for financial transactions.

Continuing his testimony in the Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT) trial involving former Tourism Malaysia director-general Datuk Mirza Mohammad Taiyab, 53, and former PEMPENA chief operating officer, Mohammad Rosly Md Selamat, 56, the seventh prosecution witness also denied that he had made a big mistake in making the payment to LCL Interior.

Lim, 40, who is now a freelance consultant, said Rosly told him verbally to prepare the payment.

"I then instructed my staff to make payment via money order to LCL Interior which is owned by Datuk Low Chin Meng ," he said.

On Aug 16 last year, Mirza and Rosly had pleaded not guilty to CBT by approving a remittance of RM888,000 into the account of LCL Interior LCL Dubai through Manshreq Bank in Dubai on Feb 27 2007 for the Malaysia Dubai Restaurant in contravention of the terms of approval.

They allegedly committed the offence at PEMPENA's office in Menara Dato' Onn, Putra World Trade Centre here on Feb 27, 2007 and face up to 20 years imprisonment, fine and possible whipping under Section 409 of the Penal Code, if convicted.

Lim also admitted that he did not inform PEMPENA's board of directors on the the payment when the board met on Dec 22, 2007.

"I was only invited to attend the meeting as an observer and as such I was not allowed to speak freely or even smile," he said when questioned by counsel G.Rajumaren, who is representing Rosly.

However, Rajumaren pointed out to him that the minutes showed he had expressed his views during the meeting.

When judge Che Mohamad Zulkifly Jusoh asked him to clarify this, Lim said he only gave his views when needed or asked by the directors.

Rajumaren then challenged the credibility of Lim, citing a past incident where he (Lim) was alleged to have altered the minutes of a meeting held on Dec 19, 2006 to favour Low Chin Meng in a local project, namely the Wisma Yeap Chor Eee & Khoo Kongsi, but the witnessed denied making the changes.

The hearing continues on Nov 14. - Bernama
hlk
hlk

Back to top Go down